Homemade Shea Butter Moisturizer

Over the years I've fallen in love with natural, organic and homemade skin care ingredients and how these ingredients nourish my body. I love humidity! Yeah that sounds hilarious, right? but wait till I tell you that this is a need more than a want! Humidity on the US east coast works wonders for my very dry skin. However, I recently moved to Canada where cold and dryness befriended me. Hence I decided to come up with a solution. I always keep a few natural ingredients handy for simple skin recipe creations and Shea Butter is one of them! I promise you it's a keeper!

Before I share this magic recipe, lets talk about the benefits of this whipped body moisturizer made from Shea Butter ....

Shea Butter Moisturizer

Shea Butter

Shea Butter, a superfood from the seeds of the fruit found on Karite Tree and is naturally rich in Vitamins A, E & F. This ingredient often scares people who have acne-prone skin because it's presumed to clog pores but the fact is that certain oils actually help control and balance sebum secretion and the skin's natural moisture levels. It's the same logic when you need healthy fats like avocados, olive oil etc to break down the saturated body fat. So don't let this myth stop you from achieving that supple skin.

SHEA BUTTER BODY MOISTURIZER 

A simple DIY recipe that can be used as a night cream after cleansing the skin. I use unrefined shea butter which contains it's nutty scent and healing properties but if you're not too fond of it's natural fragrance, then refined shea butter gets the job done as well.

Prep Time     30 minutes
Cook Time    5 minutes
Total Time    35 minutes

Author          Aman Mann

Ingredients 

Instructions

  1. Place a glass bowl on top of a saucepan partially filled with water over medium heat. Place the shea butter in the glass bowl, and allow it to fully melt. Add the nourishing oil.
  2. Carefully remove the bowl, stir and allow to rest for a few minutes. Then place the mixture in the freezer for 10-15 mins.
  3. Once the mixture solidifies (it shouldn't be hard, just more solid), remove it from the fridge, add the essential oils and whip the mixture till it looks like a buttery whip cream. Do not over whip.
  4. Store in a jar with a lid at room temperature. Use clean hands to take out the moisturizer or you can also use a popsicle stick, to make sure bacteria isn't introduced in the jar.

To use

  1. The moisturizer can be used as a day or night cream after washing skin. Shea butter takes a while to get completely absorbed in the skin and only a small amount on the fingertips is needed to do the magic. I also use it as a base for applying make up and I promise you my makeup never cracks! Ask my boyfriend ;)
whipped shea butter moisturizer in a jar



Comments

Popular Posts